Since the inception of NCDMB, the board has been committed to promoting and building local capabilities in the Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry. The enforcement of local content implementation in the oil and gas industry has also led to some key achievements of the board. Recently, Engr. Simbi Kesiye Wabote the executive secretary was recognized globally for his advocacy for local content and commended by the Nigerian senate on his development of the NCDMB headquarters building.
The Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between NCDMB and the bank of Industry (BOI) on the implementation of Nigerian Content Intervention Fund (NCIF) is a very important milestone in the history of the country. It aims to address the persistent funding challenge that is encountered by local service providers and other indigenous players in the Nigerian Oil and Gas industry. The floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) is the first of its kind in this country.
Nigerian Oil and Gas Opportunity Fair is another milestone achieved by the board. It is uncommon to find major players in the oil and gas industry and beyond gathered in the same room in support of Nigerian Content.
“To promote the development and utilization of in-country capacities for the industrialization of Nigeria through the effective implementation of the Nigerian Content Act.”
Some of the responsibilities of the board include:
- To review, assess and approve Nigerian Content plans developed by operators
- To set guidelines and minimum content levels for project related activities across the oil and gas value chain.
- To engage in targeted capacity building interventions that would deepen indigenous capabilities- Human Capital Development, Infrastructure & Facilities, Manufactured Materials & Local Supplier Development.
- To grow and manage the Nigerian Content Development Fund
- To establish, maintain and operate the Joint Qualification System (NOGICJQS) in conjunction with industry stakeholders.
- To monitor Nigerian Content Compliance by operators and service providers. This will be in terms of cumulative spending, employment creation and sources of local goods, services and materials utilized on projects and operations.
- To award Certificate of Authorization for projects that complies with Nigerian Content provisions.
- To conduct studies, research, investigation, workshops and trainings aimed at advancing the development of Nigerian Content.